I don’t often dole out homework assignments, but this past weekend’s message was an important one regarding our family of origin and what we received from them. Important enough, I believe, for each of us to do the following as we approach this coming weekend, and our time together… I am praying that throughout this series, that we will all break free from our past and the sins that have been passed down to us.
What was the homework assignment you ask?
Diagram your family line. Your spouse, your parents, grandparents and great grandparents, aunts and uncles.
1. Review how your parents resolved conflicts, communicated, showed affection, handled stress, used their time, related to other family members and friends, suffered with sickness, mental illness, fears and phobias, procrastination, gossiped, rebellion, drugs, false religions, etc.
2. After reflection, write down areas of your life, marriage, and family in which you carry over the wrong habit patterns of your parents or still suffer the effects of their sins and curses. Think about what is positive and what needs fixed or negative.
3. Confess and repent of these patterns (with your spouse if married) and break the curse over your family line in the name of Jesus.
4. Bring this list with you this weekend. I want to have a time where we can place your list privately to the Lord as a point of reference. I am going to have a basket up front for you or your family to leave them at the altar, so to speak.
5. Invite your children into the process. Explain to them what you have been doing wrong and ask their forgiveness, asking them not to repeat the same patterns.
Last week’s homework assignment
Think and pray through your family history, your heritage
Outline the Positive effects & Negative or dysfunctional traits
Diagram your family strengths and weaknesses
This is a “Self Discovery Time”
Invite the Holy Spirit to lead you, show you, help you
“O Lord, I am your servant; yes, I am your servant, born into your household; you have freed me from my chains.” Psalm 116:16 (NLT)
“I [Jesus] am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved They will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” John 10:9-10 (NIV)
I wanted to let you know about a few upcoming events, we have a new small group forming called UNION for those age 18-30ish. Union will meet Thursdays at 7 PM in the Lodge, starting July 7. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last but not least, join the rest of our church family for food, fun and hot summer sun! Come on out with your family, friends or small group for our Vineyard Church Summer Splash pool party. 6:30-9:30 PM, Sunday, July 24 at the Adventure Reef Water Park (Kettering Rec Center). Enjoy hot dogs, snacks and ice cream! Bring your swimsuit, towel and flotation devices for a great night of fun and fellowship! We are going to the pool in style! Register by July 17th and get your FREE pair of Vineyard Church sunglasses! CLICK HERE to register.
P.S. Scott wanted me to let you know that if you (your family or your small group) are attending a July 4th community celebration, we have a skid of bottled water (and Vineyard stickers!) for you to distribute to show God’s love in a practical way. Give Scott a call to make arrangements if you’re interested, 937-520-1561. We have a couple of groups going to downtown Dayton Sunday evening for the fireworks… Mike and Donna McCormick are planning an outreach in Xenia TONIGHT at 7 PM. Meet at the old KMart. Give them a call if you would like to join them, 937-937-613-4235.